We did this last time and we (and by "we," I mean I) can't resist doing it again. For those who enjoy guessing, here are some oblique hints about the next crop of nominees:
- Two of the nominees are intricate literary efforts in which every sentence has been meticulously worked over, both of them sustaining.a cultural heritage.
- One of the nominees collects several short stories and frames these into a narrative spanning several years.
- Four of the five nominees contain references to at least one erection, leaving outsiders to wonder at the potentially prurient nature of the LBC.
- Four of the five nominees have titles composed of four words.
- Three of the five nominees feature a remarkably sexy description of a teenage boy.
- Of the five, the longest page count is 404 pages.
- Of the five, the shortest page count is 200 pages.
- One novel's structure is so intricate that there is a corresponding website.
- Four of the five nominees' authors are dudes.
- One of the five nominees features a blurb from David Mitchell. Another features blurbs from Edward P. Jones and Alice McDermott.
- If you're interested in anagrams, the words KANG SLOPES spell out the two-letter acronyms for all five authors.
- Number of Amazon reviews per title: 4, 3, 1, 2, 2.
Just before we announce the winner, there will be more arcane clues to come!
And thank you very much, Kate Atkinson.